Diptic: One Image, Multiple Effects
25 May 2011
We've seen a lot of fantastic work and creativity coming from users of our Diptic iOS application. Typically the combination of other iPhonography applications used in tandem with Diptic adds an especially artistic element to iOS-based photos. In particular our users fancy Percolator, Instagram and Hipstamatic just to name a few. A couple weeks ago we saw a particularly interesting Diptic from kostasleko of a Russian church and its reflection. This effect was achieved using PicFx and Diptic. Using Diptic and Instagram, we'll show you how to quickly create a single photo with multiple effects. First thing's first, grab or snap a photo, and send it through your favorite effect(s). We snagged a photo from Rob's photostream of the view from Alcatraz.
Using Instagram, we processed this photo twice, once with with "Hefe" filter and once with the "Walden" filter. The end result of the Instragam processing are these photos:
Next we pop-over to Diptic and pick a layout. We processed two versions of our photo so we'll use a simple double-pane layout.
The next step is simply to import both of your processed photos into your layout.
Since both of the filters we used in Instagram already add a border to the photos and since Diptic adds a border around each individual photo, let's remove the borders by going to the effects option and setting border width to zero.
With the border removed, there's one last step: lining up the two separate photos so they appear as one. The difficulty level of this last step is entirely dependent on the complexity of your photo. As you may have seen from our earlier processed photos, the two images aren't identical after going through their filters. If this is the same case for your photos, you may have to spend a little time moving and adjusting your photos until you get them to line up (enough) to create a single complete photo. After a little bit of finagling, our final view of the photo looks pretty good.
After playing around with a few in-app effects from Diptic, here is our final image. Now go forth and make some awesome Diptics!
Originally posted 5/25 on Peak Systems' blog.
- Diptic Super 8
- Diptic's iOS 8 Photo Extension
- Diptic is Now Optimized for iOS 8
- What happened to my Camera Roll? Where are my photos?
- Importing Photos on Diptic for iPhone
- Introducing Diptic 7.0
- Diptic is now Available on Windows 8.1
- Diptic Video: 50 Percent Off For a Limited Time
- Introducing Diptic Video 1.1 (Now With Slow Motion)
- Diptic Pro Tip #7: Printing your Diptics
- Diptic for Android is now Part of Google Play for Education
- Diptic for Mac: Best of 2013
- Diptic PDQ: Best of 2013
- Diptic for Windows Phone 8 Now Supports Low-Memory Devices
- Introducing Diptic Video: Make Moving Picture Masterpieces
- Diptic is Now Available On Windows Phone 8
- Diptic for Mac 2.0
- Diptic Technical Tutorials by the App Whisperer
- Diptic PDQ Giveaway
- Q&A: Diptic Vs. Diptic PDQ
- Introducing Diptic PDQ: Powerful Designs… Quickly (aka: Pretty Dang Quick)
- Diptic is Now on Amazon!
- All Things Text
- Diptic for Android Update
- Diptic Pro Tip #6: Select Multiple Photos At Once
- Five Simple Tips to Make Great Diptics
- Diptic at the WWDC
- Diptic for Instagram
- Tutorial: Using Diptic and Layover to Create a Composite Image
- Diptic Pro Tip #5: Selecting A Background Color
- Diptic Pro Tip #4: One Image, Two Filters
- Introducing Diptic 6.3
- Introducing Diptic 6.2
- App Stacking
- Diptic Pro Tip #3: Starting Over
- Diptic Pro Tip #2: Breaking the Frame
- Introducing Diptic 6.1
- Diptic Pro Tip #1: Swapping Photos
- #ShowMeYourDiptic Contest Winners
- Introducing Diptic 6: Our Biggest Update Ever
- Mac App Store â Best of 2012
- Show Me Your Diptic Contest
- Announcing the Layover & Diptic Contest Winner
- iOS 6 Privacy Changes
- Diptic is iPhone 5 Ready
- Layover & Diptic Contest
- LA Mobile Arts Festival 2012 Takes Off With Diptic On Board
- Introducing Layover, A New Photo Blending App
- Show My Style Contest
- My Favorite Diptic Contest Winner
- Diptic is the App Store App of the Week
- My Favorite Diptic Contest
- Look Like a Photo Genius With Diptic for Mac
- Tell the Story Contest Winner
- Diptic 5.5: Filters, iPad Retina Display and More!
- Diptic Wins Best Photography Mobile App in 2012 MobileWebAwards
- Tell The Story Contest
- One Million Questions For One Million Downloadsâ¦Well, Just Six Questions
- Diptic Version 5: User Experience and Interface Updates
- Diptic 5! More Layouts, More Features, More Fun!
- Diptic: One Image, Multiple Effects
- Video Demo by AdoramaTV
- Hi, I'm this many! [holds three fingers up]
- twitter background